Friday, July 19, 2013

Stone bench in Tbilisi

One of the very first things I noticed when I arrived in Georgia was all of the stone benches.  There is an example of one in the picture above.

All over Tbilisi they have these identical stone benches, with two religious crosses on either end, and a picture of a bull head with his horns sticking out in the middle.

I've run searches on Google for "Stone benches in Tbilisi" - but there's little to no information about them.  I have always wondered if these benches date from the Soviet era, or if there is someone who is making them nowadays.  In my old neighborhood there were a large number of them broken in pieces - which leads me to think no one is making them any longer.

If I was more motivated, i'd go all out taking photos of these benches.  There are some people who have posted stuff about Tbilisi benches on the internet, but they seem to be mostly focusing on newer benches.

No comments:

Post a Comment